Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Sunset On My Summer

McKahl Johnson


Honors English 11

3rd Hour

9/6/10







What happened to those endless days of freedom?
Jumping into a freezing cold lake and having the
Sensation of needles pricking my skin was the most
Bittersweet feeling.


I also miss those midnight Maverick trips.
I can still taste the giant fountain drinks, and
Nachos.


But then my alarm clock rang. It wasn’t just any
Regular sound an alarm clock is supposed to make.
It was saying words. It said “welcome to a whole
New world of stress.” This particular alarm stung
My ears.


And there I was. Bumping into people once again,
And ripping my hair out because I didn’t ace a quiz.
It all hit me in one swift punch and I never expected
It.


It ended all too quickly. I don’t know why it had to,
Or where it all even went, but all I can do is look
To the future. I’ll unbury all the school goals for this
Year that I had once tucked away during the summer,
And grow up.


At one point in my life, I thought that summer was
My escape from stress. But the truth is, I really do
Have a whole new world of stress to look forward to.
Not just this year, but in life.


Summertime is a privilege. Enjoy it when it’s here,
But don’t fret when it has to leave. We don’t have
Lot left.

No comments:

Post a Comment